Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Always Learning - A Message from a Layman


rlschultz has left a new comment on your post "Dunning-Kruger Effect in the Olde Synodical Confer...":

"The almost universal attitude among the clergy is - 'I graduated from x seminary, so I have nothing left to learn.'"

A critical analysis of this statement would reveal that this is really nothing to brag about. Being a perpetual student should instill a sense of humility. Here at Ichabod, I appreciate the fact that comments from laity are almost always posted and are often used to create a new post. For one of my hobbies, I write an e-mail newsletter with a very small circulation. In every issue, I solicit comments and feedback. When I get them, usually the first thought that crosses my mind is - "I did not know that".

The naive and unsuspecting are usually the first victims of expertitis. Perhaps, there is a connection between this and a faulty view of the doctrine of public ministry and the Office of the Keys.

So much of the CG nonsense creates the illusion of participatory democracy. As has been pointed out elsewhere here at Ichabod, this is usually done to draw out the dissenters and find the yes-men.

***

GJ - I like featuring the thoughtful comments, like the one above, and the negative ones. But I fear that the Shrinker finally realized they were doing their cause harm by coming out in the open. They have nothing to lose by staying in their pestiferous lairs and plotting additional assaults on the sly.

The fake blogger, also known as WELS Pastor Tim Glende, has ceased posting again. I am grateful that he has posted something about WELS sexual predators, his top post, with six manufactured comments. Eventually the rest of the synod will find out that hundreds or even thousands of felonious images were stored and used at the yet-unsold synod headquarters.

I learn the doctrinal quotes better by using them and even better by combining them with graphics. The more I quote orthodox Lutherans, the more hateful the "conservative" Lutherans leaders are. The more hateful they are, the more I value the lessons of Luther and the Book of Concord.

In sales, the takeaway close is effective. "You really cannot afford this car, sir. It is way above your budget." The answer, "I can too afford it. No problem."

When the WELS and Missouri leaders tell me that the Book of Concord is boring and irrelevant, I am sold on it. When I listen to them talk about evangelism or the basics of the faith I realize how little they know about Luther's doctrine, the spiritual wisdom of the Bible. They must know better. They studied under Fuller graduates (who lie about studying at Fuller, unless they are with allies).