Friday, November 26, 2010

Second Sleet Fall - Much Better


Sassy and I went out to do the chores and play ball. The sleet began falling again. I looked up and saw the sun shining through the crystal-covered trees. As it melted off the trees, it fell with an interesting sound.

We went to the main bird feeder. Sassy went over to say hello to Maynard, our neighbor's dog. The cheap seed I dumped yesterday was in a pile. All the sunflower seed was gone. The millet was still there. If we had a large dove population, the millet would be eaten fast. Sparrows will anything from anywhere but they favor the sunflower seeds, too.

I covered the window sills with the seed/nut mixture. I could see that the package was more appealing than the contents, where nuts were difficult to find. The window sills will attract squirrels and birds, who will show up and look inside when their masonry trays are empty.

All the birds are enjoying the safflower seed in the main bird-feeder. The traffic is constant, helped by the weather but even more by the 100% safflower content.

Here is information about safflower seeds. I looked up from writing and saw our female cardinal eating her safflower seed.

Sassy looks for chipmunks whenever we go behind the house to add corn to the squirrel feeder near the deck. She considers herself a great hunter. If I shout, "Let's go kill a squirrel!" she races outside and chases around the wooded lot.

We played ball in the driveway, with the sleet coming down gently around us.

I see so many varieties of birds, new ones to me, that I will need an identification book or a good website for spotting them.

Here is the Nifty Fifty for Arkansas.


Norma Boeckler took this photo of Sassy playing in the dog park.